09/11/2012

Bon voyage, J.A.C.E.


J.A.C.E. stands for 'Just Another Confused Elephant' and it is the title of the latest film by the Greek director Menelaos Karamaghiolis who tells the epic story of a Greek-Albanian orphan that is a victim of human trafficking. Brought to Greece as a paperless immigrant, he turns into a wanted fugitivea story that resembles a contemporary Odyssey and which the narrative follows across a span of decades. If one could say that there is one prevailing theme, then J.A.C.E. is about voluntary and involuntary departures that inevitably form his identity; leaving homelands and people behindmost of the times exiting a dystopia only to enter another.

I consider myself fortunate enough to have this ambitious international co-production as my baptême du feu as an assistant director as I joined forces with the rest of the—numerous and diverse, I must admit—crew members after I had done a bit of casting for the film. A novice in the field, and having had already decided to leave the country myself, this film was both a closure of my life in Greece and a bridge to my cinematic adventures to follow.

Leaving my then fugitive tendencyand now realityon one side, I wish 'Bon Voyage' to the film and its spectators as it premiers today in Greek cinemas.

Bon Voyage, indeed, to every Jace in their identity-seeking journeys.

Official trailer with English subtitles: http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xmore6_j-a-c-e-official-trailer_shortfilms 


Synopsis:
'Twice-orphaned Jace, a Greek-Albanian child, witnesses a massacre that wipes out his foster family, then falls into the hands of the predators, ruthless gangsters who 'export' children abroad for various reasons, from beggary to the organ trade. Jace ends up in Athens, begging at street corners, exploring the horrors of institutions for young offenders or serving obscure patrons in a world where violent loss seems to be his only destiny. The movie follows Jace’s inverted odyssey in a dark universe of abuse, murder and fear, as he desperately seeks a ‘family’ and a sense of belonging'[source: http://jacefilm.wordpress.com/].

No comments:

Post a Comment